Friday, December 22, 2006

Slow Day


bubbles, originally uploaded by Dianthus.

Friday! The end of our first official week in Bangkok! And what did I do to mark this milestone? I stayed in the hotel for most of the day doodling and dorking around on the computer. It was one of those days where I am struggling with this new “freedom” that I have. I know, I know, such a thing to complain about.
After D returned from work, we decided to head over the shiny new Central World. It is another over-the-top mega-mall (I believe it is called a ‘lifestyle center’). It is so weird to think how much time we’ve spent in malls since we’ve been here. It is usually something we avoid so much at home. When in Rome…right? We had passed by it on our walk the night before and I had been reading about it in the paper. We were curious, so we hopped on Skytrain and walked the rest of the way on the elevated platform. It was just as crazy as we had imagined. The place is huge, and it is probably only 1/3rd full of stores. There will be a movie theater and bowling alley when the place is complete. We did manage to find (what will probably become a favorite of mine) a store called ‘B2S’, a bookstore and art supplies in one! Hooray! I will undoubtedly while away some afternoons here. We wandered around, getting boardline lost, hunting for a place to have dinner. D had seen a Vietnamese place on the directory, which sounded good. Once we found it, after much searching, we were disappointed. Not much that sounded good and waaay too many dishes with shrimp in it (shrimp=death for D, not good). We ended up at a noodle house. I had soya chicken in soup that was pretty good and D had gotten house-made tofu with this crazy herb-y coating served with peanut sauce that was tasty. After dinner, we walked the mall a bit more, witnessing some truly outlandish Christmas celebrations. Dancing trees, snowmen, and presents all to blaring holiday tunes. D and I decided we couldn’t take much more holiday cheer and headed back.

No comments: